Post@Posterous? Or Not?



I have been reading Michael Scott's novel, The Alchemyst this last few weeks, and it inspired me to write a short story in the same vein- about teens using magic in the modern world. Aside from posting it in my DeviantArt account, I have also decided to post it in a new blog which has far more editing capabilities. Posterous.com has been making waves in the internet world this past few weeks due to their new features, and I decided to give the service a try.

First things first: The signup was mixed bag. On one hand, all you have to do is email your first post to post@posterous.com and you're automagically signed up. On the other, geeks and experienced bloggers usually set the site up before posting- and it took me a couple of seconds to figure out that the sign up form was on the login page, and not the front page. After that's done though, Posterous accepts OpenId which makes logging in a breeze.

After playing with it for a while, I realized that the site is a far, far cry from Wordpress, or even Blogger. While most Blogging platforms have focused on ever-expanding features, Posterous have focused on Simplicity (a bit like google). They sticked with a simple WYSIWYG interface for posting & editing- there's nothing new in post-by-email, and their autopost to social networks is subpar with what Wordpress offers- for example, you can't choose which link shortener you can use. Also, the initial Themes, while very customizable, are limited to about a dozen.

If the only service you need is a place to put your notes, thoughts or stories into, then you can't get any more simpler than what Posterous offers. Signup, then everything's ready to go- post away!

Note: Sorry I can't post more often and more concise. I don't have Internet Access at work (yet) so I don't have the same amount of resources as before~ I'll still try my best though, gambatte! w00t~

0 comments:

Post a Comment