Social Networking and Education

Slide Notes Here: http://ow.ly/2mmFT



It has been quite some time since I stood in front of a classroom filled with students. A week ago, Mam (Mich) Ramirez invited me to talk at Lyceum, and I immediately agreed- As you guys know, I like being an educator. But as I stood in front of the students, I suddenly felt fear and my heart started pounding fast.. I guess 'hindi na ko sanay' and I need to start performing talks more. I hope more opportunities like these present themselves..

Anyhow.

My talk was about how college education is not enough, how we must supplement it with knowledge available to us (free!) in the internet, and how to find these knowledge through the use of Social Networking. After that, I talked a bit about blogging (which, ironically, I'm blogging about right now) and which blogging platforms I think is the best. I'll reiterate a bit here:

1) I love Blogger. Absolutely free, No strings attached, moderately customizable and best of all: Allows Ads.
2) Wordpress: for Design Experts.  It requires a small yearly fee, but you can customize a lot of it afterwards: plugins, widgets, themes, etc. Also, a photoshop pro's dream photo blog.
3) Quick & Easy blogging at Tumblr & Posterous. These are free services, little customization (compared to Blogger and Wordpress, at least) but very clean and simple to use.
4) Make your own. You can set up a Joomla, Drupal or a Ruby on Rails web server at home or on a host, get a domain name to get a 100% fully customizable website that can breath fire (if you're a good enough programmer), but of course, you'd need to invest a lot of time, effort and cash to do so. I suggest trying out the free services first.

That's it for today~! If you guys have any questions (about the seminar, blogging or even programming) you can leave a message on my Google Profiles page, or just contact me through Facebook or Twitter. Until next time, Sayonara! *watches the latest Hitman Reborn*

0 comments:

Post a Comment